Usually a plugin can be found to do exactly what you need done. But occasionally, you have specific requirements that are just not met with the off-the-shelf plugin. As I have encountered this situation, I have just modified the plugin and moved on. I have finally decided to take the time to document and publish the derived work as it might be useful to others.
As these are usually very specific modifications, I thought they were not robust enough to be pushed to the WP Plugin repository. But on a case by case basis, ie I get ask for a new solution, I have started making the plugins available. If you find the plugin modifications useful, let me hear from you.
If you need a custom patch to a plugin, contact me to see if it is something I can do.
Feedback is always welcome!